CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Problem With Sofia


Monument to Marie Antoinette, Basilica of Saint Denis, Paris

Last night I watched Marie Antoinette. I liked it, I did. But here is the problem I have: is Sofia Coppola innovative or is it just that she can't think up the right thing to say to make a movie complete?


I heard an interview where she said she couldn't imagine the perfect line for Bill Murray to whisper in Scarlett Johanssen's ear at the end of Lost in Translation and that's why we don't know. Now, I have a degree in journalism and know how hard it is to write sometimes but that doesn't mean you just get to skip giving information because you have a block.


Every time I watch one of her movies I feel like something was just missing. I will say though that I loved the stylized version of the 18th century she presented and the lavender Chuck T's in the "I Want Candy" scene was awesome.

0 comments: